Sunday Riley Good Genes: Review 2016
Hellooo loves! The most awful, most dreaded thing happened today – I was minding my own business, doing my usual skincare routine when I heard that god awful noise – the click and swish of the pump as the last few drops of the Sunday Riley Good Genes Lactic Acid Treatment spilled into my hands. This happened at about 2 am, and I kid you not, the first idea that rushed into my mind – Neha, how the hell are you going scrounge up the money to buy this again? You’ll have to stop eating and drinking for a full month to be able to afford this. I can’t very well give up food, but I sure am going to give up my weekly Bloody Mary sessions at the local bar because honestly, it is so worth giving those up for this product.
Sunday Riley Good Genes
- Product Description: A clarifying, smoothing lactic acid treatment that is meant to be suitable for all skin types. It claims to be a solution for dullness, uneven texture, dark spots, fine lines and wrinkles*.
This is basically an AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) treatment. AHAs are chemical exfoliants that work to weaken the bond that makes dead cells stick to the skin. AHAs help in resurfacing new skin cells thereby providing a fresh skin layer each time you use it. This is meant for someone who has problems with pigmentation, scarring and just overall textured-ness of their skin – AKA – MY SKIN.
- Ingredients: In the interest of brevity, I’ll link the SR Good Genes product listing on Sephora where you can easily access the ingredients listing. The key ingredient here is the 40% lactic acid which is the star of the show.
- Packaging: Sunday Riley products always have luxurious packaging and this one is no exception. A white pearlescent glass bottle with a gold top and a fantastic pump that releases a precise amount of product makes the packaging factor a 10/10 in my opinion. My 0.5 oz bottle (they don’t sell the small size separately. I bought the duo of the Good Genes and Luna) lasted me about four months. In this time I didn’t use it frequently in the beginning period and then suddenly I started seeing noticeable differences in my skin and became a regular user every time my skin was in trouble. Skin in trouble or not, this is a fantastic treatment to work with every day. In order to save this expensive product I would use it perhaps every other day or maybe three times a week.
- Application: I use this in the treatment stage of my skincare routine and I always use it in the evening. A typical routine of mine would include – cleansing, then masking, then acid tone with a mild exfoliant such as my beloved Pixi Glow tonic, then spritzing my face with a face mist such as the Mario Badescu rose spray for hydration, then Good Genes, and then finally moisturizer (eye cream optional). When you use this product, please be extra vigilant about sun protection the morning after.
Side Note : The Body Shop Tea Tree Mask (reviewed here) and the Sunday Riley Good Genes – this is a powerhouse combination that I use EVERY single time that my skin is breaking out or is in its most troubled stages.
- Consistency: I love the consistency of this product. It is very light and is quite thin and milky. It goes on so easily and smoothly on the face. It is not heavy whatsoever and absorbs quite easily. It leaves a ‘sheen’ or like a ‘glow’ on my face which I adore.
- Why I LOVE Sunday Riley Good Genes: My skin personally hates almost everything related to glycolic acid. Or at least all the products in Nip n Fab’s glycolic range. The acid that my skin does love is lactic acid and I discovered that solely because of this product. This is possibly the most expensive and yet the most effective bottle of skincare I own in my entire collection. I have never seen results that are as fast and as visible with any other skincare item as they are with this.
– This helps to reduce the ‘bumpiness’ or ‘texture’ that shows up on my skin.
– The area of most effectiveness for me is the lightening of dark spots — this helps to reduce and lighten those red scars left behind from acne.
– It helps to reduce any other unwanted dark spots I may have on the skin.
– If my skin is particularly troubled, I use this maybe two to three times in a row and on the third day, my skin looks completely transformed and healed.
– The morning after I use this product, my skin has an unmistakable look of better health than it would have the night before. Any acne and any flare up that happens on my skin, I put this on immediately and the next day it is either gone or significantly reduced.I want to be clear about one thing though – Although this is super effective in lightening and almost reducing all of the pigmentation from acne and the scarring that’s left behind, it is not an acne medication. As in, it is not a medication that will help reduce the birth of acne; BUT, it does help to reduce that acne once it has already appeared on the face. I guess what I’m saying is that this is more of a ‘post-incident’ solution rather than an ongoing preventative measure/treatment for acne. Therefore, even though this is fabulous for my skin, my skin won’t look a 100% perfect every day because there are some days on which I break out and there are new scars that get left behind which I then have to treat all over again. I use the Sunday Riley Good Genes every chance I get – I use it the night before any important day – If I have an important presentation – I slap this on. If I need to look especially good on a dinner date – I slap this on. I just cannot live without this product in my life.*As to the claims about fine lines and wrinkles that the company makes, I have no idea if it actually smoothes my fine lines or not.
- Price: The only thing that is delaying my repurchase of the Sunday Riley Good Genes is the price. It retails for a jaw dropping $105 for 1 oz!! As a student, I just cannot imagine shelling out that kinda dough and yet I don’t think I can live without it. However – I have, in fact, ordered the new The Ordinary Lactic Acid hoping that that does an equally amazing job. Because that one retails for $7 while this is a $105. Talk about a huge difference!!!!
- Why Some People May Not Like This: I’ve heard of a few people whose skins didn’t agree with this serum. I’ve heard of some complaints from people saying that this broke them out and resulted in tiny little bumps all over the face. If this happens to be you, there could be a couple different reasons here. Either this strong percentage of lactic acid just doesn’t work with your skin OR your skin was going through a purge in the first week or so and you didn’t give your skin enough time to recover and get used to this new and higher strength product. In my opinion, I just cannot think of anyone who’s skin wouldn’t benefit from this, so if you didn’t like this at first, give it a good fair shot. I’m almost positive that once your skin gets used to it, this will be your magic potion just like it is mine. Not an aesthetician’s, but a simple consumer’s opinion 🙂 Then again, if something doesn’t suit your skin, by all means stop using that product. Better safe than sorry.
Alrightyyy guys! I hope you found this review on the Sunday Riley Good Genes useful. Please let me know if you have tried this and what were your experiences with it. I’m also obligated to mention that this is just a consumer’s opinion – I am not a licensed professional by any means, so please take that into consideration while reading my experiences with any product. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week.