Top 5 Cleansers: My Favorites for 2016
Gooood Morning folks! It is a beautiful Saturday and I’ve woken up quite early considering that it’s a weekend 😀 So, to start off my weekend with, I’m going to chat with you about my Top 5 Cleansers for this year. I specify the words ‘this year’ because as with any fickle minded human being, there are always new favorites that evolve month to month or year to year. With me, I’ve decided to go on a Cleanser No-Buy for the rest of the year, or at least until I empty out one of my current cleansers. So, since I’m not going to be adding any new cleansers to my collection this year, I already know what my absolute favorites are. Alrighty, let’s get going and chat about all things cleansers.
Top 5 Cleansers:
- Simple Micellar Cleansing Water
Starting out this top 5 cleansers series is my trusty Simple micellar water. I don’t care who says what about Bioderma Micellar Water being the best and all that, just for the simple fact that the Simple Micellar Water is just as good and way cheaper makes it a complete win win in my book. The Simple Micellar Water is hands down one of the best micellar waters out there. It is gentle yet extremely effective on the skin, it doesn’t sting or burn any parts of my face, it takes of the first layers of makeup easily and I happen to think that with consistent use, my skin actually shows improvement. If it wasn’t clear already how much I like this, I have a full in depth review on my blog which you can check out here.
Miscellaneous: It retails for $6.99 for 6.7 oz but you can almost always find this on sale at one or the other store. Actually, it looks like Walmart sells it for $5.39.
- St Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub
As I’ve mentioned in a few of my posts, I know that there are some people who are completely against physical scrubs or exfoliators saying that it damages the skin. I, for one, am completely in the other team. No matter how many chemical exfoliators I use, my skin just doesn’t feel the same without using physical exfoliators. Now, I don’t use these scrubs too often. Maybe twice a week tops. I am definitely aware of the fact that over-exfoliation can damage the skin. The St Ives Apricot scrub is not only one of my top 5 cleansers for this year, but it will always be one of my top 5 cleansers forever and ever. Period. And each time I go back to using this, I forget how much good it does for my skin. I got introduced to this scrub years and years ago by my mother and I have loved it since then. About the product, as the name suggest, this is a face scrub.
The things I love about this:
1. It actually exfoliates- so the particles have good grit or roughness to them; they are actually able to slough away your dead skin
2. I use this maybe twice a week, but heck, it brightens my skin soo much, you can see visible results on your skin.
3. For it being so powerful, it does not dry out my skin one bit, and I am a perpetually dry skinned girl.
4. It is so inexpensive, I want to cry in joy. I am no expert, but I do agree with the company claims that the apricot extracts actually brighten my skin and the walnut and dried corn kernels help give it the desired exfoliation factor. St. Ives really made a name for themselves with this product.
5. And for those who are concerned, the exfoliating beads in this product are not made of plastic, so it is doing no harm to the environment whatsoever.
6. This just gives my skin such a nice clean slate after the kilos of makeup I pile on during the week. If you need an all-rounder face scrub, this is the one for you. Also, I’m sure I heard a crazy rumor somehwere that Gigi Hadid uses and loves this? That’s all I’m saying 😉
Miscellaneous: Price point is $4.29 at CVS.
- The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter
Here comes the king of all of my top 5 cleansers. Before I start my rave, I just want to demand that as soon as you finish reading this post, please please go out and get this. PLEASE. Okay, it’s more of a request, but pleaseee …
1. As the name suggests, this is a cleanser with a buttery balm like consistency.
2. This is a game-changer for me when it comes to makeup removal. If you’ve ever worn a full face of makeup, or even just some really nice mascara and eyeliner you’ll know the dread that fills you when you think about having to tug and tug and pull at those delicate areas of your eye with a cotton pad and traditional eye makeup remover. Well, this is the solution to that problem. This cleanser is literally a butter that you scoop out on to your fingers and start massaging on to dry skin. You can even do this with damp or wet skin if you want to cleanse your skin and not your makeup.
3. I kid you not, I have used this butter with every single combination of makeup – it takes off my heaviest foundation to my most waterproof mascara and all without any discomfort to you or your skin. Every time I come home after a long day, I actually look forward to melting my makeup off with this because I know just how soothing and relaxing that mini massage with this butter is going to be.
4. And considering that this is from The Body shop, it almost goes without saying that it has great ingredients.
5. It is very affordable and one of the most effective yet purse friendly options in the market.
6. This feels lush on the skin. And when you wash it off, you can tangibly feel the softness that it imparts to your skin.
7. I don’t know what else to say that will convince you, but trust me, you need this in your life. There are certainly many other butter cleansers just as good and more luxe than this, but this has the best price and performance.
8. The words Sumptuous, Cleansing and Butter are the three perfect ones to describe this product.
Miscellaneous: Retails for $16.00 on their website.
While the other three cleansers I mentioned were all full size, I only have the travel size of these next two cleansers. Yet, considering that I’m putting them in my top 5 cleansers just after experiencing their deluxe sizes, should say volumes about how much I love these.
- PurLisse Pur Delicate Gentle Soy Milk Cleanser
Of all the top 5 cleansers picks, I think this one would be best suited to any and all skin types. I am head over heels in love with this cleanser. I got this in one of my Ipsy bags and I’m so glad I did, because I fully intend to purchase a full size of this once I finish some of my other cleansers.
1. This has one of the most unique consistencies I’ve ever experienced from a cleanser. It feels like a very cool, milky-thin jelly type consistency on the face.
2. Unlike The Body Shop butter, I use this for both makeup removal purposes and to clean my skin. This is my absolute hands down favorite ‘second cleanser’. For anyone who is unaware, a second or morning cleanser is basically a cleanser you use on clean skin – that is when you’ve already removed all the makeup on your face or something you would use in the morning when you have no makeup on of course.
3. I have very very dry skin which aggravates easily when I forget to drink sufficient water on any given day. So on days when my skin is particularly dry, irritated and just not the best, I despise using any traditional cleansers because I know that they will dry out my skin even more. It just isn’t pleasant to use any chemical-y cleansers on my face when I already have pretty parched skin. So if that sounds like your skin at any point, you need this cleanser in your life. It will cleanse your makeup or your skin without stripping it whatsoever. In fact, if anything, this actually moisturizes and hydrates your skin when you use it.
4. At one point, I had a lash glue incident when I had gone away on vacation to Mexico. And of course, I didn’t have my usual arsenal of products since I only brought a select few items in my travel bag. Since I had a travel size of this, I brought this along on my vacation. Thankfully, this cleanser was the only thing that helped to melt away the disgusting lash glue clumpiness that was left behind on my eyes. It was also the perfect cleanser to use after a long day out in the Mexican sun; it soothed and cooled my face so much when I used it every evening after getting back to my hotel.
5. I just cannot rave about this enough. I think that this cleanser is an absolute must-have for the performance, texture, consistency and smell of it. Oh, yes, I didn’t mention how good this smells. Yum.
Miscellaneous: One major bummer is that I think PurLisse is discontinuing this cleanser. On the bright side, it is now on sale on their website for $22.00 which I think is absolutely phenomenal for how great this cleanser is and how much product you get. My little travel size lasted me absolutely ages and in the full size you get about 5 oz of product.
- Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment
I saved the most powerful punch-packing for last in my list of top 5 cleansers. This is another unique cleanser in my arsenal. It is unique because it’s a physical and chemical exfoliator rolled into one super hero product. I have a full in-depth review of this in a previous blog post which you can read. But, to give you a quick summary, I’ll list the reasons I love this.
1. This physical/chemical scrub shows immediate results
2. The moment you use this and wash your face and look up, you will have an aha! moment. It literally feels like this takes off three layers of your skin leaving you with a beautiful brightened skin layer.
3. It takes off any gunk out of your pores, cleanses the skin like no other and re-texturizes it.
4. It is like a cleanser and mask rolled into one.
5. You only need to use this once, maaaybe twice a week and this will help keep your skin fresh; it revitalizes the skin and erases any dullness lingering
6. A big con is that this is very very drying on the skin. Which is why you must make sure to use powerful hydrating serums and moisturizes afterwards.
7. Another big con is the price. I couldn’t imagine splurging on the full size which retails for $85.00. Which is why I only ever intend on buying the little sizes.
8. Another con is that the exfoliating beads in it are made out of plastic-but, starting next year, due to legal requirements, I’m sure they’re going to reformulate the plastic beads to be made out of something else. So not really a big concern there.
Alrighty babes. I hope you liked reading up on my Top 5 cleansers and knowing the reasons behind why I like them so much. I am in no way an expert, but these are just my opinions as a very skincare-interested consumer. I would absolutely die to know some of your favorite cleansers, so please let me know in the comments what some of your favorites are. Another outlet to chat with me would be on Instagram (username is @neighha). Have a wonderful weekend loves and …