Empties: September 2015
Howdy folks! I say howdy because if you live in Texas long enough, you start becoming less shy and more comfortable with greeting everyone with a good ol’ fashioned howdy. Not sure what this has anything to do with beauty; clearly I need to focus.
Now I thought that I was one of those people who never complain about time and can manage to prioritize and find time for everything in their lives. Obviously, I need to get off my high horse. This is my roundabout way of apologizing for not posting more often on my blog. Let’s stop this pointless rambling and get straight to it.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo in Dark and Deep Brown
This is going to be a constant feature on my blog on an almost monthly basis. It is that good. I have already talked about this product in a previous empties post which I will link here. So I’m not going to spend much time on this; let’s just say I will always love this. Always.
- Veet Ready-to-Use Wax Strip Kit
This is by far the best at-home waxing method I have tried so far. If we are being honest, I know that most college students don’t have the time to sit around and fuss with hot wax. And sure as hell, most college kids don’t have the money to spend on a full blown wax every month or so. It would cost approximately $70 dollars and upwards for getting your arms, legs, underarms and upperlips waxed professionally. I’d rather spend that money on a few bowls of chipotle and a few pints of beer (who’s with me!). Veet also makes this kit tailored toward arms and legs. Both of these types are amazing. All you have to do is take out a strip, rub it between your palms to warm up the wax and get crackin’.
Miscellaneous: Price point is $6.99 at CVS (varies).
- Freeman Rose Brightening Facial Paper MaskI’ve mentioned this before, we all know that most masks don’t do any magical things. They are mostly a way to pamper yourself and refresh your skin. However, there are some masks out there that actually make a visible difference to your skin. This mask makes that list. First of all, I aboslutely love the no-fuss logic of paper and sheet masks. So I already knew I would like this. On top of it, this mask did exactly what it said on the package. I could see my skin visibly brighter, and just a touch more even that it was before. Quick disclaimer, this mask is not going to make any lasting improvements to your skin. Think of it more as an instant uplifter for your skin. This mask would be perfect, say if you wanted to spritz up your skin before an important event or a night out.
Miscallenous: Price point ranges from $1.00-$3.00 depending on which drugstore you purchase it from. I got mine at Walmart.
- Victoria’s Secret Body Lotion in Aqua KissThe Aqua Kiss range of fragrance from VS is by far my favorite from their collection in the body care section. I emptied out a body mist in the same fragrance and reviewed in a previous post. And sure enough, my body lotion emptied out soon after that and now I miss this fragrance in my collection. I am a huge an of floral scents because I don’t really think fruity scents wear well on me. This body lotion smells incredible with beautiful notes of freesia and daisy. There is a slight problem though. I was looking this product up on the VS website and couldn’t find this fragrance. I usually buy this during Black Friday shopping so I’m guessing they’ll bring it out during that time of year. I hope they haven’t discontinued it because I will be furious.
Miscellaneous: I bought this for the Buy 3 Get 3 free deal. Each bottle retails for $14 a pop otherwise.
- Olay Fresh Effects Exfoliating Scrub
I don’t have much to say about this scrub. It has the kind of consistency where you can feel the exfoliating beads on your face but they are not too harsh. If you are looking for a good drugstore scrub, this is certainly an option. You only need the smallest amount, and this scrub lasted me a good few months. Personally, I do prefer the scrubs from St.Ives. Side note: I feel like St.Ives has changed the formula of their scrubs, because they aren’t as good as they used to be about four or five years ago.
Miscellaneous: Price point is $6.99
- Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily MoisturizerThis is one of my go-to facial moisturizers. It is a very daytime moisturizer because it has SPF30 in it. It is a fairly matte moisturizer, so everyone from oily to combination skin can use it. Mind you, I have extremely dry skin and I still loved this moisturizer during the summer months because it was perfect for the Texas heat. If I had used a dewier moisturizer it would have literally made me look like a greaseball. Here comes the best bit. This moisturizer has flecks of shimmer in it which I personally love. It gives your skin the most subtle luminosity. If you are someone who is appalled by shimmer in your skin products, then you should stay far away from this one. I am definitely going to buy this again in the near future.
Miscellaneous: Price Point is $17.49. Expensive, I know.
- Studio 35 Beauty Cotton Rounds
Finished another packet of these cotton rounds. There’s not much to say here. These were okay, not really the best quality rounds out there. They kind of shed a little when you tried to remove your nailpolish with them. I’m currently loving the CVS brand rounds because I feel like they are of slightly better quality.
Miscellanous: Price Point is unsure because I bought these over two years ago in a pack of three.
- The Body Shop Drops of Youth Bouncy Sleeping Mask
I received a sample of this when I purchased some products from The Body Shop. This isn’t a spectacular product by any means. Keep in mind that I can’t really judge a product from just one use, so I’d have to use it a lot more in order to get a really good idea. All I can say is I put it on one day and left it overnight, and the next day my skin was very hydrated.
- Bath and Body Works Candles in Fresh Bamboo and Lilac Blossom I am huge lover of Bath and Body Works candles and that is never going to change. However, I do think it is preposterous that candles in America cost so much in general. When I was a non-earning student, I could only dream of spending $20 on a candle. And even now, I never buy candles at full price. So every time there is a 2 for $24 sale on BBW candles, I take advantage and stock up. Fresh Bamboo and Lilac Blossom were a couple of candles from that stock. These candles were good, but they weren’t the best. They didn’t have a strong throw, so these work only if you have a small or medium ish room size. Even then, they don’t fill up the room the way BBW candles usually do. About the scent, I loved the scent of both of these candles and they smell exactly as their names suggest. So no complaints there.
Miscellaneous: Price Point is $20 a pop or wait for a deal.
- OleHenriksen Sheer Transformation Perfecting Creme
I got this facial moisturizer in a value kit of OleHenriksen products. I loved this creme when I was using it. It had the most soothing cooling feeling on your skin. It gave a fantastic boost of hydration to your skin without being oily whatsoever. It is a fabulous nighttime moisturizer and one that I will repurchase soon unless I find something better. As far as other skin benefiting properties go, I don’t know that this did much else for my skin.
Miscellaneous: $40.00 for a 1.7 oz pot.
- Tarte Lights Camera Lashes Mascara
This is the product I am most excited to review. I am in looooove with this mascara. If I was told to pick only one mascara and live out the rest of my life, it would be this one. It gives the most incredible combination of volume, length and separation to my lashes. I cannot say enough good things about this product. It is worth every penny and more. I am so lazy when it comes to curling lashes, so I’m one of those people who directly swipes on mascara. Even without curling my lashes, this mascara gives the most beautiful curl to my lashes. Aaaaaaaa, someone give me fifty of these tubes. If you are not willing to spend money on a full size bottle, just buy the sample size. Even the sample size lasts you long enough. I got mine in an ipsy bag and I’m so thankful I got introduced to this mascara.
Miscellaneous: Price Point is $21.00 at Sephora.
- Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars in Oats n’ Dark ChocolateI thought I would start incorporating random non-beauty empties in my posts. So I have a food empties here. You know those people who run out the door in a rush every morning, who have no routine of having a healthy breakfast and are basically a hot mess every morning? Yep, that’s me. I never used to like granola bars, energy bars and stuff like that. I stand corrected. Ever since I discovered this Oats and Dark Chocolate flavor, I am a devotee. I keep repurchasing these every time I find them in stock at Walmart, Kroger or HEB. You need to try these.
Miscellaneous: Price Point is $2.98 at Walmart.
Hope you all have had a lovely month so far, I know I have. The start of the Fall semester is always exciting. One thing I do not like is the first week of classes where I am always running around trying to find the buildings where my classes are supposed to be 😀